Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos

If it weren't for the mild winter we've experienced, right around now would mark the time of year when I start really craving a beach vacation. Actually, scratch that, I am still craving one! Despite my best efforts to escape for President's Day weekend, the $800 flights to Florida just didn't seem all that logical, leaving me with culinary escape as my best option.
No food screams "island" to me quite like fish tacos so I decided to bring back a recently discovered favorite, blackened baja tacos. Last September I took a trip to California, starting in the South and making my way up to the San Francisco area. One culinary dream I envisioned was eating the best fish tacos of my life, however sadly that remained just a dream, especially because I found this recipe right before I left.

The recipe (Adapted from Cooking Light):

1/4 cup fat-free sour cream or 0% Plain Greek Yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup thinly sliced white onion

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets (I made 2 fillets with this quantity of seasoning and had a bit of leftover that I keep around for chicken)

Handful of red or green cabbage
6-inch corn tortillas
1/2 ripe peeled avocado, thinly sliced
4 lime wedges

Combine first 4 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine jalapeño sauce and onion in a small bowl. Scale the quantity of sour cream up or down depending on desired level of "kick".

Combine paprika and next 6 ingredients (through ground red pepper); sprinkle evenly over fish and press in. Heat skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add fish to pan and cook approximately 3 minutes on each side or to desired level of doneness.

Warm tortillas and top with fish, avocado, cabbage and jalapeño sauce. And with that, escape to the tropics!

No comments:

Post a Comment