Sunday, January 13, 2013

8 Vegetable Soup

I'm still holding out for the day when my office aka second home (sigh) finally masters the art of temperature control, but until then, I will continue complaining and my scarf will stay on (acquiring a work appropriate snuggie is a work in progress). Given these arctic conditions, I think my co-workers would agree it's perfectly acceptable to crave soup year-round, but particularly to combat the January blues.
Upon moving to New York, I quickly learned about a great soup spot known as Hale & Hearty. Despite abusing my right to "sample" a soup every time I go, I always seem to default back to their delicious and low-calorie 10 vegetable soup as my final selection. It still isn't entirely clear to me which 10 vegetables they claim to have in their soup, but I decided it was time I attempt a version of my own...8 vegetable soup.

The recipe:
Seasonings:
4 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp red pepper/chili flakes
2 tsp. everyday seasoning (Trader Joe's version combines sea salt, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, coriander, onion, garlic, paprika, and chilli pepper - talk about a spice medley)
1 bay leaf
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Vegetables:
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced in rounds
1/2 onion, diced
3 celery stalks, sliced
4 baby potatoes, quartered or in sixths
2 c. leeks (I used pre-sliced frozen, slice if fresh)
1 c. peas
2 handfuls chopped kale
1-14.5 oz. can diced low sodium tomatoes
1-32 oz. container low sodium vegetable broth

Prepare and cut onion, carrot and celery then add to a stock pot with ~1 tbsp. olive oil. Saute for a few minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add minced garlic and potatoes. Stir and season with basil, salt, pepper and 1 tsp. everyday seasoning.

Saute for another few minutes then add in tomatoes and the remaining tsp of everyday seasoning. Add broth, bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 20 minutes.  Then add frozen peas, leeks and kale. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

For added flavor serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment